Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Do better.

This quote has become the center of my whole being over the last year or so. As I search out new concepts in agriculture, sustainable living, politics, and life balance, I am learning more and more how important it is to keep building yourself into a better you. 

Using the excuse "well I didn't know" is a weak defense. If you're using that phrase, that means someone has just explained something to you, or brought a new idea into your life. That means now you do know. Now you're more informed. The next question is, what do you plan to do about that? Will you sit back in your safe space, even with this new information? Or will you try to do better?

My opinion on the subject is that we should always do better.

I set out this year to learn more about the world around me, specifically about the food system that we live in each and every day. I've challenged myself to read one non-fiction book a month and, because I'm so intrigued by it, most of them have been about agriculture lately. I've learned about regenerative agriculture. I've learned about carbon sequestration, the "organic" paradigm, and the real cost of all the cheap food out there. I've learned why paying $11.99 a pound for chicken from a co-op is worth it, both because of the meat itself and what it means for the farmer who provided it me. I've come to understand why even though I recycle like mad, I should be pushing to cut out more plastics in my life.

I've learned a lot! Now I know better, so it's time to do better.

So here are some goals I'm setting for myself to "do better" the rest of this year:

* Cut the amount of plastics that I use by at least 25% (shooting for 50%)
* Slowly incorporate more plant-based meals, starting with "meatless monday"
* Start planting fall crops to keep my gardening year round
* Move away from single use items, especially paper products, and buy compostable items for the times we do need single use items
* Repair/reuse/rehome things as much as possible, rather than tossing them out.
* Continue to share the things I learn with all of you!

I look at it this way.

We should absolutely care about politics.
We should care about people, and their rights.
We should care about equality and honesty.

However all of those things become null and void if we damage our planet beyond repair. Without good soil to grow crops, we have no food. Without food, we have no people. Without people... well you get the picture.

I'm going to do what I can, even if it feels like I'm the smallest part of all of this. It has to start somewhere.


No comments:

Post a Comment