Friday, April 18, 2014

Embracing My Inner Diva


Friends, I come to you with a retraction. I've decided that I don't actually hate makeup. Do I love it? No. Will I wear it constantly? Probably not. Do I understand why people like it now? Yup. More below.

I can tell you exactly why I started disliking makeup because, yes, I still remember the moment. Rewind to when I was 7 years old and in dance class. Every time we had a recital, we had to do our hair and our faces so that we wouldn't look like ghosts under the stage lights. My mom had this little black makeup kit she used to carry with us to these shindigs. When I saw her pull it out of the bag, I'd cringe. Lipstick was sticky, I felt like it was suffocating my face to wear foundation, and don't get started on eye makeup! You're telling me I can't rub my eyes? WHY?

Looking back now, I giggle at that. I'm still the same girl through and through. Minimal. Simple. Practical.

That being said, I'm also starting to work to embrace my inner diva a bit. Being honest, it's kind of nice to pretty up once in a while. I've never minded mascara, but I'm working on learning to do simple eyeliner. I'm trying to take better care of my skin, so I bought a facial moisturizer and some BB cream with SPF in it. You all know my new obsession with nail polish! Still simple, but working on a good daily routine I can stick with :).

I think my 30's are going to be all about embracing new things. I want to step out of my shell, and try things that I was previously afraid of. I want to question my old beliefs, and build good habits. I just want to grow, and I think I'm working towards that. Maybe being a little more of a girl isn't a huge step, but it's a step! And that's what's important.

No comments:

Post a Comment