Thursday, January 9, 2014

So how's it going?


It's day 11 of healthy eating over here, so I'm checking in with you all. I'm sure you're eager to hear how things are going, right? Well too bad. I'm going to tell you anyway ;).

Starting last Monday, I've been doing a combination of healthy choices with calorie tracking. Why calorie tracking you ask? Isn't that hard? Doesn't it make you insane? Calm down. I'm doing it mainly because I realized I that, although I am okay in the portion sizes department, I needed to teach myself how to make good choices. Seeing how many calories a fast food cheeseburger has vs. a whole bowl of yummy spaghetti with a few turkey meatballs? Trust me when I say it makes it way easier for me to want to come home and cook instead.

I've been eating more yogurt, and more whole grains. I picked up some soy milk (chocolate, yum!) because I'm not big on regular milk and tend not to drink it. I eat salad and at least one piece of fruit almost daily now (someday soon I'll have to tell you the story about when I used to DESPISE salad) and drink anywhere between 50-60oz of water a day. All easy things to change. All actually really delicious changes too!

In fact, today I got lazy and went to get chicken nuggets from McDonalds at lunch. I figured, what could it hurt?

You know what? They tasted AWFUL. Really, they did. I didn't even enjoy eating them. Then I put them into my calorie tracker and almost had a heart attack when I saw how much sodium they have in them. HOLY. So let's get this straight. They didn't taste good, I could have had a whole 12 inch sandwich instead of 10 nuggets, and they have 1,000 mg of sodium. Yeah, no thanks. The extra time to make lunch is worth it.

Trust me when I say that I'm just winging this as I go. I'm not sticking to any diet, or any plan, or anything. Just trying to make better choices. Trying to pay closer attention on what I put into my body everyday. Trying to find something that works for me, and that I can sustain. That's the biggest part. Sustainability.

Happy side effect? I've also lost 3.5 lbs in these 11 days. Now that's awesome. Onward and upward.


1 comment:

  1. 3.0 pounds for your old mom since 12/30//13 and dropped a little in the pant size department. They actually fit better...no more muffin top!!! LOL. I'm glad you are doing awesome on your choices. I've joined forces with My Fitness Pal, it's an app, to track my eats. Goal set for 10 pounds by March 31. Slow and easy for me.

    ReplyDelete