Sunday, March 16, 2014

The Polish Chronicles: Part 1


Every year, without fail, I pick up a new hobby. Some I keep (see the many blogs I own), some slowly disappear (see sewing) and some I find so frustrating that I never pick them up more than once (see making candy).

This year, since I'm on a quest to understand where I fall in the beauty regime spectrum, I've fallen in love with nail art. It might sound odd, but painting my nails is zen for me. It's calming. Now that I've decided to keep this thing going,I'll post periodically about my nail polish adventures!


This week it was all about Accent Nails.

I'm trying to break out of my pink phase, so I picked up a purple polish called "Ultra Violet Femme" at ULTA. It's so pretty! A perfect shade of purple.

I wanted to do something a little different, so I decided to try an accent nail. It makes it easier when you only do one. That way if you mess up, you can fix one nail ;). I might be more ambitious later, but for now it's the perfect way to practice.

While browsing Etsy, I stumbled upon SSPVinyl, who makes these awesome vinyl nail templates. I just painted my nails purple, let them dry, put two squiggles on the nail, painted over it in silver, and then pulled them off right away. I was so gosh darn excited to see the finished product! Easy peasy.

Finally I layered on two coats of top coat! I want to keep them nice.



Let me share some things I've learned over the past month of painting my nails:

* Wear a base coat. Seriously. Lots of dark colors stain your nails, and slightly tinted pink nails are not cute.

* Put Vaseline around your nail beds when before you paint! It makes any nail polish that sneaks off your nail way easy to clean up. Just wipe it away with a tissue.

* A small brush helps a lot with any tiny polish errors. Just wait until after your polish dries entirely.


More to come! Next week I'm going to try pinstripes :).

No comments:

Post a Comment