Saturday, March 1, 2014

The good kind of sore.

So yesterday was my first meeting with a personal trainer. When the hubby and I signed up for our new gym, part of the package was a free one hour session. Pretty awesome right? More like nerve-wracking for this girl. I've always had this thing about looking weak in front of other people. Gyms used to make me nervous in general because I didn't want other people to judge my lack of fitness. So being one on one with someone who will know exactly what I can and can't do? Terrifying.

Still, I've committed myself to being a healthier and fitter me, so I went. You know what? It was awesome! First of all my trainer was super cool. He was funny, and honest, and made me feel like I could actually achieve the stronger me I wanted. I'd look at an exercise and think "Wait, I don't think I can do that!" and he'd convince me I could... and I could. All it took was that mental boost.

I'm sure there are people out there who don't need that boost. I wish I was one of them, but one thing I know about myself is that I need someone to be accountable to. I need someone to push me, and tell me that I can do the things I didn't think I could. So I plan on signing up for more training sessions, because that's exactly how I felt yesterday. I've never been prouder of myself than when I accomplished an exercise I'd never dream of trying on my own. I guess I'm stronger than I thought I was.

I laughed when he told me I'd be sore today, but what he likes to call "the good kind of sore" because it means you worked hard. I'm feeling it, and you know what? I'm wanting to go back for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment